Case Study

This is a case study of the four projects that I have completed in the Digital Imaging class I took this semester at W.C.C. These projects consisted of a Grid, Hyper realism, Cubism, and a final piece. The selection of five themes in which we used for the reaming of the semester was also required as a basis for the works we would complete. The themes in which I picked were: Friends, Billiards, Watches, Gaming, and Computers and Humans. The final piece was a collaboration of said themes in conjunction with one of the three art mediums.

Let’s begin by taking a look at the first project: Hyper Realism.

I chose two of the five themes, which were Friends and Billiards. At the start of the week when I started this project, I already knew how I would put the composite together. Then I gathered my best friend and his camera, we made the trip to the pool hall and began taking pictures.

The composite starts off with a 3×4 pictures which I extended into a 13×19 image size using the cloning tool. I removed all the billiards from the table to give me a clean slate to work with. From there I tried to work on the background in seeing how I could also extend that too, Couldn’t come up with anything so I asked my best friend for his input and he said make it look like its mirrored. So I began to work that into the composite, and it turned out pretty well. After completing the background, I moved on to making the billiards. It was a long trial and error process to making them. I tried just using the elliptical tool and adding a slight shadow, but that turned out to be a bad idea. While going through an art site I visit often I came across someone who made a tutorial about making 3D stars using the 3D tool in photoshop CS5. I tried it, since I was using CS5. Opening a new layer and placing the images of me and my friends I began to build the billiards from the ground up. Once done I added some shadow to the billiards and completed this one.

Next project to be done was Cubism.

The theme chosen for this one was Gaming. Gaming is such an important part of my life, and someday I aspire to become a professional gamer. Starting off this composite I took images of my gaming controller and enlarged the Hi Res image of it. The background was the first thing to be worked on. I took the logo from the most well known professional console gaming mediums in the world, M.L.G. or better known as Major League Gaming. Using the image of the logo, I multiplied it till it filled the background. Second was the controller itself, which I sliced up into 5 pieces. Then I made a line like divider to give it a more cubist feel instead of an abstract piece. In the line structures I grayed out some areas to add contrast. Once done with that I added a color gradient overlay of red and blue to somewhat match the M.L.G. logo a little bit. I wanted to add the Major League Gaming type in the middle of the piece but it didn’t fit like I wanted it to, so I just inserted another logo in the center. Towards the end of this composite it felt a little bland, so I spiced it up by adding this sort of static like effect to the edges of the sliced up controller parts, thus completing this one.

Continuing in the progression is the Grid.

This one didn’t follow a theme, I kind of just went with the flow of doing something in a grid and ended up having two different composite come out of one. I wanted to do something other than the basic square for my grid, so I decided to use elongated rectangles with the rectangle marquee tool. Adjusting the setting in the layer pallet I had begun to see a ghost like effect with the layers since I was only copying the sliced layers into new layers and not cutting them. Moved a few layers up and down with this lowered opacity and I was done with the first one. Upon completion of the first one, I thought to myself “what if?”  So with that thought in my mind I tried the regular grid piece. Starting with the same image, I sliced small squares using the rectangle marquee tool once again. With my layers set, I adjusted them to the same layer setting I had on the previous one and work on moving them around. Next I added a rainbow color gradient overlay, which gives it the effect or illusion that I am moving through glass. Completion of this one took little to no time at all.

The Final Project.

Thoughts for my final composite were scares to say the least. I was at a lost for what to do till I came across a tutorial for a type that I found here:

http://abduzeedo.com/easy-casino-style-sign-photoshop

I started to work through the tutorial changing some of the settings to how I wanted it to be. The type came out pretty well and I then moved on to the background which is just some simple clouds and a color gradient overlay of a few of my favorite colors. Next using the same image of myself that I used for the grid piece I cropped myself out of the picture and placed it into my composite. I added a slight but subtle shadow gradient to darken my image a little to make it blend more with the background. Working on the phoenix and the effect that I placed in my hand I noticed that they would appear over my face, which I didn’t want. So I cut an area of my face into a new layer and placed that layer over the phoenix and the effects. Concluding the final project.

Taking this class was quite fun and once I am done with my Computer Science degree, I will be coming back to school to obtain my Digital Art degree.

word file here case study

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s